My Mexican Cornbread Casserole with Ground Beef features your favorite Mexican flavors and is perfect as a main dish or side. This wonderful recipe is hearty, delicious, and really easy to make!
If you love Tex-Mex casseroles, be sure to also check out our Tortilla Lasagna!
Mexican Cornbread Casserole: Potluck and Dinner Staple
If it's still summer wherever you're reading this, rejoice. Because just like the best dishes on the potluck table, the season of backyard barbecues, block parties, cookouts, and poolside parties never seems to last long enough for my taste.
This Mexican Cornbread Casserole is one of those dishes that seems to vanish as soon as you put it on the table. It's perfect for summer gatherings, but can be made year round for a comforting dinner.
As far as go-to dishes goes, this one checks all the boxes. It's easy to make, has those classic Mexican flavors that everyone loves, and it's ready in a flash.
Keep the ingredients for my Mexican Cornbread Casserole on hand and you’ll always be prepared for that last-minute dinner or invitation... (or, let’s be real, that invitation that was sent weeks ago and you forgot about until the day of.) It happens to the best of us.
With a list of simple ingredients, most of which you probably already have on hand, you’ll have this tasty, filling cornbread casserole ready to go in no time. It comes together easily, but is so delicious and impressive, your friends will think you toiled long and hard in your kitchen.
Why You Are Going To Love Mexican Cornbread Casserole With Beef!
- This dish is versatile and delicious - serve it as a main dish, side, or even an appetizer in small portions.
- Complicated ingredients? Not here! Store bought cornbread mix is your friend and does most of the work for you!
- Freezer friendly! Mexican Cornbread Casserole can be made in advance and frozen for a busy weeknight.
Key Ingredients And Substitutions
- Ground beef- Because the ground meat will be baked into the casserole, feel free to try a leaner version.
- Jalapeno- Jalapeno gives this casserole a little kick! If using fresh, be sure to remove the seeds. Got a jar of sliced jalapenos in your fridge? Perfect! Adjust to your preferred level of heat, or leave them out altogether if you aren’t a fan.
- Cornbread mix- Don’t you just adore a recipe with a little shortcut? No need to make cornbread from scratch! Grab a box of Jiffy (or your preferred brand) and get cooking!
- Tomato paste- The concentrated flavor of tomato paste really adds depth and a hint of sweetness. You can substitute tomato sauce or puree but will need to use a bit more to achieve the same level of flavor.
- Corn and black beans - Both of these ingredients add a little texture and dimension to this casserole. Plus they always seem to pair nicely together. (Just ask this Black Bean and Corn Salsa recipe.) If black beans aren’t your favorite, try pinto beans or just omit them.
- Cheese - what would a classic Mexican dish be without a layer of melted cheese? A traditional Mexican blend works beautifully, but use what you love!
How To Make Mexican Cornbread Casserole With Ground Beef
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a 9 x 13 inch casserole dish and set aside.
- Using your favorite pan, brown the ground beef and drain grease.
- Return the meat to the pan and add the onions and jalapenos. Cook on medium heat for about 5 minutes or until soft. Add the garlic, cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper, tomato paste, black beans and water. Stir to combine and cook, uncovered on low, for 3-4 minutes.
- While the meat mixture simmers, grab a mixing bowl and combine your cornbread mixes (both boxes), eggs and milk. Add the drained corn to the batter and stir to combine.
- Now you’re ready to layer! Start by adding half the cornbread batter to the bottom of your casserole dish in an even layer. Next add all of the delicious ground beef mixture and top with a layer of cheese. Top with remaining cornbread mixture.
- Pop it into the oven and bake for 30 minutes. Makes 8 servings. (or more if you serve in smaller portions as an appetizer! Think of serving like mini Mexican cornbread casserole parfaits!)
Tips For Making Mexican Cornbread Casserole
- Have I mentioned how much I love a good shortcut? Try subbing my Crock Pot Taco Meat for the meat, onions, and spices in this recipe and thank me later!
- Be sure to drain your corn and beans! All the moisture you need will come from the ¾ cup of water.
- Get creative with your ingredients! Bacon, chives, chopped fresh tomatoes, or diced bell peppers are all popular additions. Use your favorite Mexican blend of cheese, or stick with cheddar. All cheese is good cheese, y’all. For a little extra decadence, serve with a dollop of sour cream on top!
- Gluten free? No problem! Simply substitute the Jiffy cornbread mix with your favorite gluten-free cornbread mix.
More Ground Beef Casseroles to Try
Mexican Cornbread Casserole
- 1 pound ground beef
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup onion (diced)
- 1 jalapeno (diced)
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- ¾ cup water
- 1 15 oz can black beans (drained)
- 1 6 oz can tomato paste
- 1 15 oz can corn (drained)
- 2 boxes Jiffy cornbread mix
- 2 eggs
- ⅔ cup milk
- 2 cup shredded Mexican cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a 9 x 13 inch pan with nonstick spray and set aside.
- Brown ground beef in a large skillet over medium heat. Once meat is cooked, drain the fat and return to the stovetop.
- Add the onions and jalapenos, cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the garlic, cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper, tomato paste, black beans and water. Stir well. Reduce heat to low and cook uncovered for 3-4 minutes.
- In a bowl, stir together the cornbread mixes, eggs, and milk until combined. Add the drained corn to the cornbread batter.
- Add half of the cornbread batter to the bottom of the pan and gently spread into an even layer. Add the ground beef mixture on top of the cornbread batter, then add the cheese in a layer on top of the ground beef. Finally, top with the remaining cornbread batter.
- Place the casserole in your preheated oven and bake for 30 minutes.