- 1 ½ lbs. Ground beef (use 80/20 for a juicier burger)
- 1 ½ teaspoons burger seasoning OR salt and pepper
- Vegetable oil (for frying)
- 4 ounces queso fresco or cheese of your choice (crumbled)
- 2 avocados (pitted and sliced)
- ½ a red onion (thinly sliced)
- 2 to matoes (sliced)
- 3 ounces alfalfa or broccoli sprouts
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 3 Tablespoons fresh chopped herbs (such as cilantro, dill, basil, and/or chives)
- Squeeze of lemon or lime juice
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- 4 hamburger buns
Form the beef into patties. Gently divide the beef into 4-5 equal sized portions and pat it into a ball. Use the palm of your hand to flatten the ball into a disk and shape into a burger. Use a thumb to press an indent in the center of each patty.
Cook the burgers. Heat a swirl of oil in a cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add the patties and cook until the bottom is browned and juices start to pool at the top of the burger. Flip over and continue cooking until browned on the other side. Remove from heat and immediately sprinkle with queso fresco. Cover with foil and keep warm.
Make the aioli. Meanwhile, whisk together the mayonnaise and fresh herbs. Add a squeeze or two of citrus juice to taste, then season with salt and pepper.
Assemble the burgers. To make the burgers, smear both sides of the buns with herbed mayo. Top with onions and tomato slices, the burger with cheese, avocado slices, and sprouts. Sandwich with top bun and serve.
Calories: 999kcal | Carbohydrates: 34g | Protein: 41g | Fat: 78g | Saturated Fat: 23g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 16g | Monounsaturated Fat: 31g | Trans Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 152mg | Sodium: 1599mg | Potassium: 1187mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 906IU | Vitamin C: 19mg | Calcium: 274mg | Iron: 6mg