Ground Beef and Sweet Potatoes Skillet is a cheesy meaty wonder-meal that combines all your favorite Tex Mex flavors into an easy one-pan dinner that's packed with nutrients.
Why You're Going to Love Ground Beef and Sweet Potatoes
- Less Dishes. When a recipe tastes great, but leaves you with a mountain of dirty dishes, that tends to sour the experience. Skillet meals are wonderful because, like a Slow Cooker or Casserole meal, you get everything you need all in one pan (or dish). Prep is simple and cleanup afterwards goes fast.
- Quick. This Ground Beef and Sweet Potatoes Skillet is no exception. It's easily made in about 40 minutes in ONE non stick pan.
- No Sides Required. Plus, this meal requires no side dishes because it's got it all! Meat, potatoes, veggies, cheese... All here and ready to bring the nourishment.
- It's Healthy. This meal is packed with nutrition. You're getting vitamins, minerals, fiber, and protein all using natural ingredients (nothing processed here).
Key Ingredients & Substitutions
- Ground beef - There are no substitutions. Provides protein, iron, zinc and B vitamins. You could add drained black beans for a vegetarian option.
- Veggies - Onion, poblano pepper, and corn. The pepper is the only thing you should substitute. For more heat, use jalapenos, or for less stick with bell peppers. Peppers and onions contain tons of vitamin C and anti-oxidants.
- Sweet potatoes - These add a nice hint of sweetness and also provide a bunch of nutritional benefits. Sweet potatoes are especially high in fiber and beta-carotene. We sing their praises more in this Sweet Potato and Sausage Soup post.
- Shredded cheese - Cheddar, Mexican blend, or queso asadero.
- Toppings - These are optional, but sour cream, avocado, and a sprinkle of chopped cilantro work beautifully. Alternatively you could use your favorite salsa, hot sauce, or chimichurri.
How to Make Ground Beef and Sweet Potatoes
- Brown the ground beef with some onion and then drain off excess fat.
- Add in the sweet potatoes, corn, peppers, garlic, taco seasoning, and a little water, then cover and cook.
- Remove lid and cook till liquid evaporates.
- Top with cheese, and serve with your favorite taco fixin's (sour cream, cilantro, avocado, salsa, or shredded lettuce)
What Goes With Ground Beef and Sweet Potatoes
Ground Beef and Sweet Potatoes Skillet
- 1 pound ground beef
- ½ cup onion (diced)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 3 cups sweet potatoes (cubed (about 2 medium sized potatoes))
- 2 Tablespoons homemade taco seasoning (or 1 packet store bought)
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 poblano pepper (seeded and diced)
- 1 cup of shredded cheese (optional)
- Cilantro (avocado, and sour cream, for serving)
- Combine beef and onions in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook until browned, about 10 minutes. Drain the fat and return to heat.
- Add the garlic, sweet potatoes, taco seasoning, water, corn and poblano peppers. Cover with a lid and cook until sweet potatoes soften 12-15 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Remove the lid and continue to cook on medium low heat until the liquid has cooked away, about 3 minutes.
- Top with cheese if using and garnish with cilantro, avocado, and sour cream.
Add a can of black beans along with the sweet potatoes. Replace poblano pepper with jalapeno for more spice. STORAGE:
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Reheat on the stove top or in the microwave to 165 degrees before serving.