Our homemade Ground Beef Queso Dip takes just 15 minutes and makes a melty, meaty shareable snack that’s sure to be the dish your party guests gather around.
It's Not a Party Without Dip
Whether you’re pouring out a bag of scoops, or making your own Air Fryer Tortilla Chips, a party just isn’t complete without some chips and dip.
When you ask your guests to volunteer to bring something, we all have that friend who pounces on the chips and dip so they can phone it in with a (not even family-sized) bag of budget corn chips and a jar of sub-par salsa.
We here at Ground Beef Recipes believe that the dip course is a crucial opportunity to set the tone for your party. It’s why we dote on our Layered Taco Dip with Meat, why we savor a sizzlin Skillet Bread Spinach Artichoke Dip, we’re dazzled by a Hot Peppadew Crab Dip, and are always a sucker for a classic Knorr Spinach Dip recipe in a bread bowl.
So that’s why when it comes to QUESO dip, only the best will do.
Why You’ll Love this Queso Dip with Ground Beef
This beef queso dip has it all:
- It’s delicious. This recipe packs all the zesty Mexican flavors you love into one scoopable spoonful.
- It’s the right texture. Despite containing plenty of perfectly seasoned ground beef, this queso dip stays melty, cheesy, dippable and chip-able. Not like that runny gluey jarred stuff.
- It takes just 15 minutes to make from scratch! Name me another hot party side that can make that claim? I’ll wait…
Key Ingredients for Ground Beef Queso Dip
- Real Cheese - No Velveeta here folks. Sure it melts nice, but we’re using a blend of shredded sharp cheddar and spicy hatch chile cheeses (or pepper jack if that’s not available). It’s a combo that those plastic government-issued orange blocks just can’t compete with.
- Ground Beef - Turns this appetizer into a borderline meal. Sure you could just brown any old hamburger, but to make this dip POP, we let it get just a bit crispy on the edges before adding the
- Homemade Taco Seasoning - Gives the meat that classic blend of smoky & spicy flavor. It's the secret to our Easy Ground Beef Tacos.
- Tomatoes and Green Chilies - This canned ingredient really adds texture and dimension WITHOUT requiring washing and chopping. This is the key to keeping this beef queso dip recipe quick.
- Dairy - We use milk AND evaporated milk to make this queso a creamy, chip-coating masterpiece. Plus we add milk to breathe second life into any leftovers.
How to Make Ground Beef Queso Dip
- Coat shredded cheeses with cornstarch.
- Brown some ground beef by following our easy How To Cook Ground Beef video below.
- Season ground beef with taco seasonings.
- Add tomatoes and chilies, evaporated milk, and cheese blend. Cook until melted and thickened.
- Adjust texture as desired by adding milk, and serve warm. Garnish with fresh parsley and serve with multi-colored corn tortilla chips for added color.
Gather Round the Queso Dip
With this meaty queso dip anchoring your snack table, you'll have a harder time getting your guests to stop congregating around the food, than you will actually preparing the food in the first place.
This ground beef queso dip is perfect for cookouts, potlucks, family gatherings, and especially game day parties. Make a double or triple batch, and you'll have enough that you could serve it in a covered crock pot (on warm setting).
Ground Beef Queso Dip
- 1 ½ cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded pepper jack or hatch chile cheese
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 Tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 can diced tomatoes and green chilies (with their juices)
- 13 oz evaporated milk
- 2-3 Tablespoons milk (2% or whole, plus more for leftovers)
- Place cheese and cornstarch in a bowl and toss to coat.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the ground beef and spread it evenly over the surface. Cook undisturbed for several minutes or until the bottom has developed a brown crust. Flip, and continue to cook until all sides are well browned, about 7-8 minutes total. Drain excessive fat or sop up carefully with a paper towel and discard. Season with taco seasoning and stir well to cover.
- Stir in the canned diced tomatoes, then add the evaporated milk and cheeses. Lower the heat to medium low and continue to cook until the cheese melts and the sauce is smooth and slightly thickened, 2-3 minutes.
- Add a few tablespoons of milk to thin the sauce to your desired consistency. Sauce will thicken quite a bit as it cools, so I lean toward the thinner side.
- Serve warm.
More Great Game Day Snacks
If you like this beefy queso dip, you'll probably love our Ground Beef Quesadillas, Air Fryer Ground Beef Taquitos, or these easy skillet Ground Beef Nachos.
Either of these Ground Beef Mexican favorites would be right at home in your tailgating lineup next to some Crock Pot BBQ Meatballs, these Gluten Free Soft Pretzel Bites, Meat Candy, or Puff Pastry Pigs in a Blanket.
For some other sweet game day treats, don't miss our Puppy Chow, Chocolate Covered Pretzels, or Homemade Seasoned Popcorn.