From prep to plate in under 25 minutes! These Air Fryer Hamburgers require very little effort and still come out flavorful and juicy; every bit as good as grilled!
Make them for a quick and easy weeknight meal, or if your cookout is out of gas (or is getting rained out) let these beefy beauties save the day!
Just toss some seasoned ground beef patties in the air fryer, add some drinks and your favorite side dish, and keep the party rolling.
Create a simple meal with some crispy potatoes or a garden salad. And of course, you can never go wrong with a big helping of my creamy mac and cheese.
You will also find over 30 sides for burgers and hot dogs in this post!
Why You'll LOVE Air Fryer Burgers
- No standing over a hot grill or stove.
- Ready in minutes!
- The ingredients are simple and may already be in your pantry.
- Stay indoors, and leave the sweltering heat or the threat of a torrential downpour outside.
Key Ingredients and Substitutions
- Ground beef - Fattier meat means juicier and more flavorful hamburgers, so choose a blend that is 80-85% lean.
- Seasoning - Simple pantry staples create plenty of flavor while letting the natural flavor of the meat shine. If you’d like, get creative with my homemade hamburger seasoning or add some heat with cumin, cayenne, or a dash of sriracha.
- Cheese - Anything goes here! Sharp cheddar or American are classic choices, but other great options include provolone, Monterey Jack, or Pepper Jack. We also LOVE a Mushroom Swiss Burger!
- Condiments - I like a little mayo and ketchup on my bun, but sometimes I use Copy Cat Big Mac Sauce for extra zip.
How To Make Air Fryer Hamburgers
- Preheat your air fryer and add a little propellant free cooking spray so nothing sticks.
- Divide the meat into five even sections, then roll them into rounds like a giant meatball. Press flat into patties and make an indent in the center of each with your thumb.
- Season the outside of both sides of the patty generously.
- Place the patties in the air fryer (leaving space around each one) and cook for 4 minutes.
- Flip and cook for another 3 minutes, then top with cheese and return to the air fryer (but don't turn back on!) The slices will melt after a minute or two.
- Once the cheese has melted, transfer to toasted buns and pile on all of your favorite toppings.
Tips For Making Hamburgers In The Air Fryer
- Don’t over mix! Too much pressing and squeezing causes the air fryer burgers to turn out dense and dry.
- Form patties larger than the buns. They will shrink slightly as they cook, so aim for just a smidge wider all around. There’s nothing worse than a big bite without any meat!
- Indent the center. You can press down gently with your thumb or press all around so the edges are a bit higher. This prevents the dreaded “dome” that causes your toppings to slide off.
- Skip the propellants. The propellants in most non-stick sprays will cause the basket to deteriorate over time. If you can't find a propellant-free spray at the store, add your favorite cooking oil to a spritzer bottle instead.
- Want some bacon? Cook it in the oven so it’s ready at the same time. Plus, you won’t have to worry about splatters and mess!
How Long To Cook Burgers In The Air Fryer
I found that 7 minutes is the perfect amount of time for cooking burgers in the air fryer.
That said, times may vary depending on how thick your patties are or even the make and model of your appliance. We have used both the Ninja Air Fryer and Cuisinart Toaster Oven/Air Fryer.
You can always check the internal temperature with a digital meat thermometer to be sure. Insert it through the side of the patty for the best reading.
Once it reaches 160°F in the center, it’s a perfect medium and safe to eat!
More Fabulous Burger Recipes
You can make almost any burger recipe in the air fryer! It's mostly about switching out the seasonings or the toppings.
Try air frying our Ranch Burgers, Avocado Burgers, Taco Burgers, or Double Bacon Cheeseburgers.
Want the taste of cheeseburgers in a different form? Try our Big Mac Sloppy Joes, Cheeseburger Soup, or Cheeseburger Tater Tot Casserole.
Air Fryer Hamburgers
- 1 ½ lbs. ground beef
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 4 slices cheese of your choice
- 4 buns
Toppings (all optional, to taste):
- Big Mac Sauce
- Preheat the air fryer to 375 degrees. Spray the fryer with a natural cooking spray that doesn’t contain propellants. Mix together the salt, pepper, garlic, and onion powder in a small bowl and set aside.
- Shape the meat into five equal sized balls on a cookie sheet or tray. Use your palm to gently press them into a flat patty shape. It’s okay if the edges aren’t perfectly round. Use your thumb to press an indent into the center of each patty.
- Sprinkle the seasoning mixture generously on both sides of the patty.
- Add the burger patties to the fryer, leaving a little breathing room around each one. Fry for 4 minutes, flip, then fry an additional 3 minutes.
- Open the fryer and add cheese slices to the top of the burgers. Slide the basket back in, but DO NOT turn the air fryer on. Just let the cheese melt for another 1-2 minutes in the warm basket.
- Stack the burgers on buns with your favorite toppings. We love lettuce, tomato, onion, and pickle with mayonnaise.
[…] Air Fryer Hamburgers: come out juicy and delicious every time and are ready in under 25 minutes! […]
[…] Air Fryer Hamburgers […]