From prep to plate in under 25 minutes! These Air fryer hamburgers require very little effort and still come out flavorful and juicy; every bit as good as grilled!
Make them for a quick and easy weeknight meal, or if your cookout is out of gas (or is getting rained out) let these beefy beauties save the day!
Just toss some seasoned ground beef patties in the air fryer, add some drinks and your favorite side dish, and keep the party rolling.
Why You Are Going To Love Them!
- No standing over a hot grill or stove.
- Air fryer hamburgers are ready in minutes.
- The ingredients are simple and may already be in your pantry.
- Stay indoors, and leave the sweltering heat or the threat of a torrential downpour outside.
Key Ingredients and Substitutions
- Ground beef - Fattier meat means juicier and more flavorful air fryer hamburgers, so choose a blend that is 80-85% lean.
- Seasoning - Simple pantry staples create plenty of flavor while letting the natural flavor of the meat shine. If you’d like, get creative with different seasoning blends or add some heat with cumin, cayenne, or a dash of sriracha.
- Cheese - Anything goes here! Sharp cheddar or American are classic choices, while Swiss or Provolone are extra melty. For bolder flavor, try some Pepper Jack or Smoked Gouda.
- Condiments - I like a little mayo and ketchup on my bun, but sometimes I use Big Mac Sauce for extra zip.
How To Make Air Fryer Hamburgers
- Mix the seasonings into the ground beef just until everything is evenly distributed.
- Divide the meat into five even sections, then roll them into rounds like a giant meatball. Press flat into patties and make an indent in the center of each with your thumb.
- While those rest, preheat your air fryer and add a little cooking spray so nothing sticks.
- Place the patties inside (leaving space around each one) and cook for 4 minutes.
- Flip and cook for another 3 minutes, then top with cheese. Don’t turn it back on - the slices will melt after a couple of minutes.
- Once the cheese has melted, transfer to toasted buns and pile on all of your favorite toppings.
Tips For Making Hamburgers In The Air Fryer
- Don’t over mix! Gently work the seasoning into the beef with your hands until just combined. Too much pressing and squeezing causes the air fryer burgers to turn out dense and dry.
- Form patties larger than the buns. They will shrink slightly as they cook, so aim for just a smidge wider all around. There’s nothing worse than a big bite without any meat!
- Indent the center. You can press down gently with your thumb or press all around so the edges are a bit higher. This prevents the dreaded “dome” that causes your toppings to slide off.
- Skip the propellants. The propellants in most non-stick sprays will cause the basket to deteriorate over time. If you can't find a propellant-free spray at the store, add your favorite cooking oil to a spritzer bottle instead.
- Want some bacon? Cook it in the oven so it’s ready at the same time. Plus, you won’t have to worry about splatters and mess!
How Long To Cook Burgers In The Air Fryer
I found that 7 minutes is the perfect amount of time for cooking burgers in the air fryer.
That said, times may vary depending on how thick your patties are or even the make and model of your appliance.
You can always check the internal temperature with a digital meat thermometer to be sure. Insert it through the side of the patty for the best reading.
Once it reaches 160°F in the center, it’s a perfect medium and safe to eat!
Air Fryer Hamburgers
- Air fryer
- large mixing bowl
- spatula (flipper)
- 1 ½ lbs. ground beef
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 4 slices cheese of your choice
- 4 buns
Toppings (all optional, to taste):
- Big Mac Sauce
- In a bowl, combine the raw ground beef and seasonings, gently mixing with your hands till evenly distributed.
- Shape the meat into five equal sized balls then gently press them into a flat patty shape. It’s okay if the edges aren’t perfectly round. Use your thumb to press an indent into the center of each patty.
- Preheat the air fryer to 375 degrees. Spray the fryer with a natural cooking spray that doesn’t contain propellants. Add the burger patties to the fryer, leaving a little breathing room around each one. Fry for 4 minutes, flip, then fry an additional 3 minutes.
- Open the fryer and add cheese slices to the top of the burgers. Slide the basket back in, but DO NOT turn the air fryer on. Just let the cheese melt for another 1-2 minutes in the warm basket.
- Stack the burgers on buns with your favorite toppings. We love lettuce, tomato, onion, and pickle with mayonnaise.
More Juicy Burger Recipes
Love Burgers? Be sure to check out all of our delicious variations on the classic cookout favorite on our category page of JUST fantastic Hamburger Recipes.
You’ll feel like you’re at a gourmet restaurant with every bite of these Mushroom Swiss Burgers.
Want to keep things simple? Check out these Ranch or Avocado Burgers for an easy weeknight meal.