Manwich meets Mcdonald’s in this family-pleasing sandwich!
This fun take on homemade sloppy joes is sure to please. They’re so simple to prepare, and will keep your family and food budget happy!
If you're like us and love a good meaty burger or sandwich, you'll love these Big Mac Sloppy Joes, but be sure to also check out our whole category of hamburger recipes.
Big Mac Sloppy Joes are fantastic alongside some Crispy Air Fryer Potatoes, or you can keep the side dish light with this Easy Garden Salad Recipe. If you want to REALLY be extra, you could even serve this alongside our Big Mac Salad. So much Big Mac flavor!!!
Why You Are Going to Love It!
- These sloppy joes are super fast and straightforward! This is ready in less than 30 minutes, so you can save your time and energy for enjoying your family and your dinner.
- These are delightfully fun as well as tasty. When you mix a fast food classic with the iconic American homemade sandwich, you can’t go wrong!
- Big Mac Sloppy Joes are affordable, but still deliciously unique. These joes are anything but boring, and they give you a real bang for your buck!
Key Ingredients and Substitutions
- Ground Beef - Any type will do, but normal joes use the 80/20 ratio. Make it organic or grass-fed to keep it healthy. You could use ground turkey or chicken, or even bison. Switch it up and see what flavors you can create!
- Sesame Seed Buns - Use sesame seed buns to keep it classic, or experiment with whole grain, potato, or brioche varieties. You can easily make this gluten-free with some GF buns as well.
- Pickles and Onions - Dice these veggies up! You don’t need a ton - just enough to add a zing of flavor and texture.
- Salt and Pepper - Essential spices to enhance your fantastic joe!
- More Pickles, More Onions, and Lettuce - Top it with what you like! Pile on the pickles, 86 the onions, do what makes you happy. Get crazy and add some tomatoes or avocado if you want to. Leave a tray out on the table for the fam to pick and choose their toppings, too.
- American Cheese Slices - Another key to big mac bliss. If you need to leave it off though, don’t worry - you’ll still get your Mickey D’s fix because the secret is in the...
- Big Mac Sauce! - The star ingredient!! This is surprisingly easy to make with some mayo, relish, a little ketchup and vinegar, and finished off with onion powder and salt. Thousand island dressing can be a quick alternative, or if you demand the real thing, McDonald’s will sell you the sauce all by itself.
How to Make Big Mac Sloppy Joes
- Sear meat - In a large skillet, sear your ground meat, breaking it up as you go. This shouldn’t take long - about five minutes, give or take.
- Cook vegetables - Once your meat is browned, toss in your diced pickles and onions with salt and pepper to taste. Stir the ingredients together for a quick minute, just so they get to know each other.
- Stir in the sauce - Mix in the secret sauce to make the magic happen!
- Simmer until cooked - Let this sit for a couple of minutes, so the flavors start to mingle.
- Serve - Break out the buns, and scoop on the tangy goodness. Stack on the cheese, pickles, onions, and lettuce. You can layer it just like a big mac and slide a bottom bun in the middle.
Tips & FAQs for Making Big Mac Sloppy Joes
- This is a great family meal, so laying everything out on the table buffet-style is a smart way to go. Everyone can participate and create their own special big mac sloppy joes sandwich!
- You can toast the buns to add some crunch or leave them soft to stay true to the big mac style.
- Leftovers are super simple to handle. Grab some Tupperware or plastic wrap, cover, and store in the fridge for up to a week. Reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop until warmed through.
- These can be made gluten or dairy-free with some simple substitutions. Gluten-free bread options are plentiful in most grocery stores, and dairy-free cheese slices are popping up nearly everywhere. Stick with a large grocery chain or a natural foods store to be sure to find a good selection of what you need.
Big Mac Sloppy Joes
- 1 lb. ground beef
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ⅓ cup big mac sauce (plus more for serving)
- 5 slice American cheese
- 4 sesame seed buns
- 2 Tablespoon butter (melted)
- 16 dill pickle chips
- ½ onion (diced)
- 1 cup lettuce (shredded)
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the beef and cook, breaking up any big chunks, until no pink remains, about 5-6 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper. Stir in the big mac sauce and 1 slice of American cheese until melty and well combined.
- Meanwhile, brush the melted butter on the insides of four buns. Broil for 3-4 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Top each bottom bun with additional big mac sauce, shredded lettuce, diced onion, pickle chips, and a slice of cheese. Scoop beef mixture over top, top with the second bun, and dive in!
More Great Burger-Inspired Recipes
These Loaded Slow Cooker Sloppy Joes are also a tasty sloppy joe option that’s easy and affordable.
We also love these Pimento Cheese Burgers and Cajun Burgers for crowd-pleasing, creative ways to use ground beef. Just a little twist on the classics can turn boring burgers into stellar sandwiches!
For a more heart-warming meal, try our Crock Pot Cheeseburger Soup, or our One Pot Cheeseburger Macaroni recipes.