Crock Pot Cheeseburger Soup includes hearty ingredients and savory flavors. With minimal effort, it’s an easy meal idea for any occasion.
Comforting and delicious, this is hands down one of the easiest meals ever. This creamy slow cooker cheeseburger soup is full of flavor thanks to hamburger, cheese, carrots, potatoes, celery, onion, bacon, sour cream, and jalapeno.
No grill or bread buns are necessary to get your cheeseburger fix. With this recipe, just let the slow cooker brew your favorite burger ingredients and fill your house with with the sweet smell of hamburgers in soup form!
Why You Are Going To Love It!
- It’s ridiculously easy to prepare. You can throw it together in mere minutes.
- With this slow cooker meal, you get that magic satisfaction when you return home from work/school and dinner is ready and waiting. No additional steps necessary. (If that sounds good to you, be sure to check out our other great Ground Beef Crock Pot Recipes.
- This cheesy hamburger soup recipe is "potluck popular" and can scale up. Double or even triple it to match the size of your crowd (or their hunger-level).
Key Ingredients And Substitutions
- Velveeta - I love a good creamy soup, don’t you agree? What sets this crock pot cheeseburger soup ahead of the others is the Velveeta cheese. It’s rich, creamy, and oh so good!
- Ground Beef - Opt for 80/20 or 90/10 ground beef to get the best flavor. You could sub ground turkey or ground sausage if you are in the mood for something different.
- Carrots - Feel free to shred them yourself or if you are in a hurry, buy the bagged shredded carrots.
- Potatoes - Any variety of potatoes will work well! They are crucial to give you the ultimate texture and keep you full longer. The potatoes in this recipe are the real indicator on when this soup is perfectly cooked. You're done when they are fork-tender. If you need the soup to cook faster, potatoes cut into smaller cubes will cook through faster (take note if you're making this soup on the stove top).
- Onion - I love adding some white or yellow onions to my recipes and this one is no different. They are naturally sweet but not overpowering, so it’s a great addition!
- Celery - There is a good reason why celery is added to so many soup dishes... it tastes wonderful when it's cooked with the other ingredients. Even if you don’t like celery on its own, it creates the perfect flavor when complemented with seasonings and veggies.
- Worcestershire sauce - If you want to take this recipe to the next level, don’t forget to add some Worcestershire. It’s tangy and draws out a deeper flavor from the meat.
- Bacon - Now we are talking! Add in your favorite variety of bacon and the crock pot cheeseburger soup will be even more savory and scrumptious.
- Chicken Broth - I almost always have chicken broth on hand, so it’s my go-to for soups. However, you can also swap it for beef or veggie broth instead.
- All-Purpose Flour - Yes! Adding a little bit of flour to the soup will help thicken it, so it’s not overly watery. Don’t skip this step because it makes a huge difference.
- Milk - For a richer and creamier result, reach for whole milk. Or to lighten it up, 2% works great.
- Sour Cream - In combination with Velveeta and milk, the sour cream makes the soup creamy without being sticky or clumpy. I don’t recommend skipping the sour cream, but you can go for a lighter reduced-fat variety.
- Smoked Paprika - The subtle smokiness is always a hit and a great addition to the crock pot cheeseburger soup. Don’t worry, it’s not overwhelming, but it certainly adds to the flavor.
- Jalapeno - Where are my spice lovers? If you want to pack some heat in this soup, fresh jalapenos are the way to go. Add as much or as little as you like. I recommend starting off with a smaller amount and trying it before adding more. You don’t want it to be too spicy. Alternatively, you could make sure that there's a bottle of Sriracha (or green chili salsa) available for folks to spice up their individual bowls.
How To Make Crock Pot Cheeseburger Soup
- Brown the ground beef until it’s no longer pink. Drain off any excess fat.
- Combine the chicken broth and flour together and mix well.
- Put the ground beef, seasonings, vegetables, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, milk, and jalapeno in the slow cooker. Mix well to combine.
- Pour the broth and flour mixture over the hamburger and stir.
- Cook on low for 5 hours or on high for 3 hours.
- Once the potatoes are tender, mix in the Velveeta cheese.
- Mix in the bacon, sour cream, salt, and pepper.
- Serve with waffle fries, garlic bread, or even grilled cheese sandwiches and devour.
Tips & FAQs For Making Crock Pot Cheeseburger Soup
- For a quicker option, cook it on the stove top. It tastes just as great but is done much faster.
- Don’t overcook the cheeseburger soup, or the potatoes will start to get mushy and fall apart. Once they are fork-tender, it’s time to get the cheese melted and serve.
- This recipe is great for meal prepping and will last in the refrigerator for up to 7 days. Just be sure to keep it sealed. or...
- Make a double batch and freeze the rest for later! It will last up to 3 months if stored in an airtight container.
- Reheat in the microwave or in a saucepan on the stove top. Use low-medium heat and stir frequently. If it’s too thick, add in a little bit more milk to thin it back down.
Crock Pot Cheeseburger Soup
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3 cups chicken broth
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 cup carrots (shredded)
- 4 medium potatoes (about 1 pound, cubed small <1 inch)
- 1 large onion (diced)
- 1 cup celery (diced)
- 1 ½ Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 ½ cup milk
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 jalapeno (finely diced, (optional))
- 12 ounces Velveeta cheese (cubed)
- ½ cup sour cream
- 4 slices bacon (cooked and chopped (optional))
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large skillet, cook the ground beef over medium heat until no pink remains, about 6-7 minutes. Drain excess fat.
- Meanwhile, mix the chicken broth and flour together in a large measuring cup.
- Place the cooked hamburger, garlic, carrots, potatoes, onion, celery, Worcestershire sauce, milk, paprika, and jalapeno in the slow cooker. Stir to combine.
- Pour the chicken broth over the meat and stir.
- Turn on high for 3 hours or low for 5 hours.
- When the potatoes are tender, add the Velveeta cheese and allow to melt.
- Stir in the sour cream and bacon. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with garlic bread or waffle fries.
This can also be cooked in a pan on the stove top for a quicker meal. Storage:
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 7 days.
You can freeze this soup to serve for later. Place in an airtight, freezer safe container and freeze up to 3 months.
More Comforting Soup Recipes
Fill your bowl with one of our other great Ground Beef Soups! Be sure to try our recipe for Slow Cooker Taco Soup, or No Bean Chili.